State your name, your kennel, and where your kennel is located.
Hi, my name is Yesenia Giraldo. Along with my husband Adrian, we are the owners and founders of Underworld XL Bullies. We are a family-owned kennel, residing in Palm Beach Gardens, FL.
What type of dogs do you breed, and what inspired you to get involved with that particular breed?
We breed standard and XL American Bullies. It all started with my husband's love and passion for Pit Bulls. This eventually led him to discover the American Bully breed. At first, I'm not going to lie: I was hesitant with this breed, due to the stigma they have, especially since we have kids. After plenty of research and owning our own bullies, I was able to see what this incredible breed is truly capable of. That was over 8 years ago, and as you can see, the rest is history.
What is your favorite bloodline?
I think if we are talking about old school foundation bloodlines, Gottiline takes the cake!
In your opinion, what are the characteristics of a responsible dog breeder?
I believe that a responsible dog breeder should always:
- Put their dog’s health and well-being first. These animals look to us to protect them and it is our duty to do so. They are not just our pets, they're our family members.
- Have knowledge of the breed they’re breeding. There's plenty of information out there on this breed and their needs. It would be a disservice not only to the animal, but to yourself, not to do the proper research. Sometimes that even means reaching out to some more experienced breeders for proper guidance. Remember, knowledge is power.
- Lastly, a breeder should be accessible to their production’s family, in case of any questions or concerns. Owning a puppy is a lifelong commitment, and we want to be in touch through every life stage.
What type of diet do you keep your dogs on throughout the year?
We do a combination of Raw and Natural Diamond Select.
How many times a day do you feed your dogs?
The adults eat twice a day. Whelping mom’s and puppies eat three times a day.
How do you keep your dogs in shape throughout the year?
As part of their daily regimen, we work our dogs individually with a combination of exercises, including flirt pole, spring pole, and swimming laps in our pool. We also use other toys to not only keep them active, but freshen up their obedience skills. We have a fenced 1.5-acre lot where our dogs run, play, and socialize with one another every day.
Walk us through the process of purchasing a pup from Underworld XL Bullies from start to finish.
We at Underworld strive to make this process a pleasant one from beginning to end.
- After the initial contact, we do a social media check and ask several questions that we feel are important before a customer makes this commitment. We want to make sure that our puppy is headed to the right home.
- A phone call is then made to establish a relationship with the potential buyer. Once everything checks out, we send out a contract to be signed and returned with the required deposit.
- Once the puppies are born, we send weekly updates to our customers.
- Puppy selection is made no later than the 6-week mark.
- Puppies go to their homes at 8 weeks, unless they’re being shipped internationally. We also offer hand deliveries if you are not able to come pick up your pup.
- We ask that they keep in contact and provide updated pictures on the puppy well into adulthood.
Does Underworld XL Bullies currently show any dogs?
Currently, we are working with two of our dogs, who will hopefully make their debut later next year.
What advice do you have for any upcoming breeders?
Research the breed thoroughly. Ask questions to other experienced breeders. Most importantly, stay humble.
What do you think is the most difficult thing for people in the bully game to overcome?
Believing that you know it all. Personally, I learn something new every day. Maybe it’s something that I could do differently to better my program. Like I said, stay humble and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
How do you think they can overcome this thing?
Realizing that we are all in this with the same goal in mind. We are here to help this amazing breed get the recognition and love it deserves.
Who do you look up to in the bully game, and why?
That’s a good question. I have several people I look up to in this game. So many have paved the way for us today. One of the kennels we look up to the most is Gatorhead Bullies. We had the pleasure of visiting the Gatorhead Ranch when we picked up our girl, Nemesis.
Renee and Patrick are honest, transparent people who truly love their dogs and do great business. That's the type of kennel we aspire to be.
Tell us about one of Underworld XL Bullies main goals for 2021.
Our main goal is to get our bullies ready for the show ring, as well as continue to grow our program and kennel. We have many exciting things coming to our kennel, and we can't wait to share them in due time.
Describe how you would want things, in the bully breed Community, to be 10 years from now.
I would love for the breed to be consistent. Right now, the breed is young enough for us to be the front-runners. It is our decisions today, that will shape the look and perception of this breed in the future.
What separates Underworld XL Bullies from the competition?
I believe what separates us is our passion and availability. We make it a point to always be available for our customers one week, one month, or even years down the line. You're not just buying a puppy from us, you are becoming part of a family.
What other hobbies or interests do you take part in?
When I'm not with my dogs, I am homeschooling my two children, reading, or planning our next great adventure!
What do you think of Bully Girl Magazine?
I think Bully Girl Magazine is a fantastic resource for bully breeders and lovers alike! It gives us breeders the chance to have the spotlight, and give others a behind-the-scenes look at our lives with these lovely animals.